Saturday, April 21, 2007

Spring Has Sprung

The grass is riz... and better yet, my tulips are coming up! :> It was quite sunny here today, the warm weather has started (e.i. not snow) and our gardens are starting to stretch out a bit after a short winter's nap. (We didn't get much snow this year). The perennials are beginning to wake up as well, extending some green leaves and tendrils to let us know they've had their first cup of coffee, and are ready to get to work!

Now, any gardener will tell you that there are 2 basic motivators for having a beautiful garden: 1) Love of gardening, and 2) Making your neighbors envious. Each is very fulfilling. Some days, I don't know which I enjoy better. I love taking my dog for walks when everyone's gardens are in bloom, because then I can go around, mentally comparing all of them to ours, and walking home with a smug but satisfied smile on my face. Okay, it sounds conceited, but we really do have the best garden in our subdivision! :>

I just noticed our neighbor out in her backyard, digging some new beds. "Looks good!" I said over the fence. Then came her wonderful reply: "I might need your help with this!" For us, who are running out of room in our own yard, the idea of appropriating other peoples' yards or parts therein is a bonus. I have so many seeds, I'll never be able to plant them all in our gardens. And I just want the little guys to have a chance. Of course, I'll try not to make hers look *too* good... then we'd lose our spot at the top.

I think I'll go look at my seed collection and see which ones I can plant in my new garden (a.k.a. my neighbor's yard).

2 comments:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

You could be a Garden Superhero. Fighting dull landscaping with a single bound!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Oh yes, HB!